Fire Station 35 was originally built in 1920 when horses drew equipment for firefighting. It houses one engine company and a reserve engine. The project involved the complete demolition of the existing fire station, followed by new construction of a 2-story, 11,532 SF fire station. The project was designed to earn LEED Silver certification, but due to the entire project team’s efforts, ultimately earned LEED Gold certification. As part of the project’s construction waste management program, the team set a goal of recycling 95% of both demolition and new construction debris. The project included a rainwater reuse/recycling tank that collects water from the parking lot and roof drains for use in vehicle washing and irrigation.
The new station is comprised of 3 apparatus bays, as well as apparatus support areas for decontamination and bunker gear storage. It houses office and lobby areas, officer’s quarters/bunk, sleep rooms, fitness area, day room and beanery. The building also includes an elevator.
Kirtley-Cole Associates was awarded Best Sustainable Construction by the Associated Builders & Contractors of Western Washington for this project.